Parsnips and Potatoes


I only discovered parsnips about four years ago.  I put them in soup and was never sure, I liked them for themselves or as another veggie in chicken soup.  Finally, one day, I roasted them with some other vegetables and found they are delicious.

It was no big deal to put this together and enjoy it thoroughly.

Parsnips and Potatoes

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large parsnips, peeled and sliced thin
3 large shallots, thinly sliced
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper



In a large, deep skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the oil. 

Add the parsnips and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. 

Add potatoes and cook for another 6 minute.

Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. 

Add the broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer over low heat until the parsnips and potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.

Remove.  Eat and enjoy.

Linked to: See Ya at the Gumbo                  Treasure Box Tuesday      Two Cup Tuesday       In and Out of the Kitchen       Tuesday’s Table    Fat Tuesday       Hearth and Soul Hop         Simple Supper       See Ya at the Gumbo        Real Food Recipe Round Up   

Comments

  1. I know that parsnips are delicious, yet I never think of using them. I love this simple combination and it cuts down the starch from the potatoes a little too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have potatoes in your list of ingredients. Is there a particular potato that you use? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same...new to parsnips but after having them roasted I'm a fan. Have not tried them with white potatoes. Made them with carrots and sweet potatoes. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family love parsnips - they are one of our favourite vegetables. I like this idea of roasting them with the potatoes and onions, Chaya. It sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing this post with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost