Cinnamon Pumpkin Bars

This is the season to use pumpkin in our recipes.  No, I am not tired of pumpkin after October.  For a squash lover, I think pumpkin is a sure-sell.  Of course, you can use real pumpkin but I was out to save time.  I find that most recipes using canned pumpkin are fast and easy.  This one is delicious too.

IMG_4345
Diana Rattray About.com  (adapted)
Cinnamon Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg     
                                                                                                           IMG_44331/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
3/4 cup  oil

Topping:
1/2 cup gluten-free flour mixture (I make a mix of 2 cups brown rice and 2/3 cup potato starch and 1/3 cup tapioca flour. Take the amount needed to fill the flour requirement. In this case you need two cups of the mix for the cake and topping.)

1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Method:
 
Grease and flour a 9 inch square baking pan.  Pre-heat oven to 350°
In a bowl, combine the 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, guar gum and salt; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and oil until well blended, scraping the bowl a few times.
Stir in the dry ingredients until blended. Spread in prepared baking pan.

In another bowl, combine the 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar and cinnamon. (You can use one half cup of nuts in this mixture. I didn’t and I am sorry I did not. Use fine chopped walnuts or pecans.)

Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until crumbly.

Sprinkle evenly over the pumpkin batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.

Cool in pan on a rack. Cut in squares to serve.

Comments

  1. This must be delicious. I agree. Pumpkin is an all-round food. But I don't have time for fresh either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom loves pumpkin and bar type recipes. I'm sure she would love this one, so I'll be sure to share it with her. Thanks for providing it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chaya! These look absolutely mouth-watering! I invite you to share it in 'Made From Scratch' Monday for the month of December. The linky is open until midnight tonight...and speaking of...I wish you a very happy, healthy, and safe New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So yummy. I can telesmell:)

    Hopping by. Already your follower.

    I am also inviting you to join my store's first giveaway event: Tiddle Diddle Handmade Shoppe Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost