Totally Sloppy Joes with Bam Bam - Emeril


Today, I went to prepare my room for the school year.  I have the same room as last year which is a plus.  It is sunny and airy and has enough space for the class.  

I had forgotten, I had left some of my bulletin board displays, at school and this was a pleasant surprise.  I ended up doing more than I thought, I would accomplish.  Even though, some of the borders are still missing, my handiwork looked good and will be a pleasant welcome for the kids.  

I am as excited about the new year as I was when I was a kid.  I love new beginnings and the hopes and dreams that come with them.  I love, even more, the end of the year when I can look back and hopefully see some of those dreams come true. 

I came home, exhausted.  I have to get into the routine of having work, in my schedule.  Hubby was great and offered to barbecue until, I asked if he would prefer Sloppy Joes.  Back to the kitchen with me.   

Totally Sloppy Joes  ---- Adapted  form Emeril

Ingredients:

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce (I had Marinara opened in the refrigerator.)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Baby Bam  --  See below.
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
salt to taste - optional

Method:

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring, until brown, about 5 minutes.

Strain the meat through a colander set over a bowl and return the meat to the pan. Discard the fat.

Add the onion and green pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.

Add the red wine vinegar, stirring to loosen the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, and cook for about 1 minute.

Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar,  Italian seasoning, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Stir to mix and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Since we do not have gluten-free buns, we used sliced sandwich bread.  Heat in oven.

Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Serve the Sloppy Joes by spooning 1/2 cup of the meat mixture onto the bottom half of each slice of bread and top with the other half. Serve warm.

Baby Bam - seasoning by Emeril

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt

Method:

Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine, using a wooden spoon. Store in an airtight container for up to three months.Yield: about 3/4 cup

Comments

  1. My husband's favorite sandwich is Sloppy Joe's - I bet he would eat them every week if I let him! LOL. Pinned this to try, Chaya :) Best wishes for the new school year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These remind me of the sloppy goodness from my kid years. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad used to make us sloppy joes for dinner when my mom was out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your sloppy joes last week at All my Bloggy Friends - I can't wait to see what you link up at this week's All my Bloggy Friends!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost