Strawberry Walnut Muffins - Muffin Mondays


I am wondering if this is the first recipe, I almost completely followed.  It called for pear instead of strawberry.  I had no pears so I substituted, what I did have.  I had 2  quarts of strawberries.  The fragrance from the strawberries after baking was taking over my kitchen.  It was delightful and unexpected.  I also did not coat the tops of the muffins with sugar.  It might make it pretty but too much sugar is just not necessary.

The recipe is in the words of Cooking Light.

Strawberry and Walnut Muffins  (adapted from Cooking Light)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (8-ounce) carton plain fat-free yogurt
  • 1 large egg
  •  1/2 cup  diced strawberries
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.
Place walnuts in a food processor; process until finely ground.
Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in ground walnuts. Make a well in center of mixture.
Combine brown sugar and the next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a small bowl; add to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in diced pear.
Spoon batter into 15 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately. Place on a wire rack. Serve either warm or at room temperature.

Linked to Made from Scratch Mondays - another favorite of mine

Comments

  1. These sound lovely; I love fruit in baking and I think the yoghurt inside the batter would make a good texture

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love muffins with Berries, such a fruti delight !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made strawberry cupcakes before and you're right about the smell! Makes me so anxious to take them out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 2 tbsp of oil in these muffins! This seems to be a great recipe to keep :D

    I'm new to Pinterest and now following yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love strawberry muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since my daughter is on a 'strawberry' kick right now, this will be right up her alley LOL. I'll have to substitute the flowers but this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this week in our linky. Have a great weekend Chaya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost