Recipe Box #14 - Zucchini-Corn Casserole


It is amazing that I remembered the Recipe Box, this week.  School started, yesterday and I have completely submerged myself in my new class and my new curriculum.  I have a group of 23 boys to share the year with and based on only one day, they seem terrific.

Usually, on the first day, I can pick out the potential trouble maker but yesterday, I could not.  The worst "crime" was calling out and that should stop by the end of the week, when they see, I am serious about it.  I threw out most of the learning and concentrated on good classroom habits and rights and responsibilities.  Interestingly, they understood responsibility over rights and I want that to change.

I explained to them reward is a better way to learn than punishment and of course, they like that.  I base my year on reward and earning it.  If a class wastes time, it comes out of activity time.  Consequences make sense to them and in the past, I have found, the reward is worth using our time in a wise manner.  If this message got through, we had a successful day.

Today starts the academics.  I love sharing knowledge with kids.  Their minds are open and they are filled with questions.  If teachers would only let them ask these questions, they would have better learners.

Education has replaced cooking, once again, in importance.  Of course, I still cook and we still eat and I love this next dish.

This recipe should really be called Corn-Zucchini Casserole.  I love it because of the corn, not the zucchini but for some reason, it did not sound right.  Whichever it is, if you make this, put in lots of yummy corn.

Zucchini Corn Casserole (adapted from Food. com)

Ingredients:

3  zucchini, trimmed and scrubbed
2 cups frozen corn kernels or fresh, if you can get it
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green peppers, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Method:

Peel, if you like and cut zucchini into small pieces.
Mix the zucchini with the corn and beaten eggs- Set aside.
Saute onion and green pepper until they are tender, the stir them into the zucchini mixture.
Add  pepper.
Turn mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole.
Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

I like corn in almost any dish and this one was creamy and rich.  I hope to make this one again and again.

Looking Back:
Cinnamon Rolls from Pounds for Pennies



Homemade Tator Tots
Homemade Tater Tots from Healthy Kitchen Guide

Ee Mein Soup from Food is My Life

DSC_4664

Honey Barbecue Baked Beans from Kitchen Flavours

All this food is making me hungry.  I hope you will share with us below.  Have a wonderful week.  Linked to Cast Party Wednesday, All My Bloggy FriendsReal Food Wednesdays   Tastetastic Thursdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Frugal Thursdays    Keep it Real Thursdays

Comments

  1. Hi Chaya
    Thanks for another party
    I'd like to wish you and all your family - Happy Rosh Hashanah !!
    May this year brings you joy and happiness and good health

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious bunch of recipes! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many recipes in the box I have difficulty "eating them" with my eyes! All look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting, Chaya! I am a firm believer in having children understand consequence ... and rewards are definitely more motivating than punishment. Best of luck to you this school year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your zucchini corn casserole at All my Bloggy Friends last week. I can't wait to see what you share tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  6. Chaya,
    Was nice to hear about your first day of school with 23 boys!!! I just retired from 35 years of teaching.. I am ready to retire and am enjoying every minute at home. It will be my first year that I don't have to squeeze in the cooking for the holidays. Thanks for hosting and Shana Tovah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for featuring my homemade tator tots recipe and for hosting each week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your school year is fantastic. I can't imagine 23 boys! Thank you for hosting--sorry I'm running behind this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been busy here too. Maybe it's just the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent recipe. Simple and delicious recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting Chaya. Hope you are having a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Chaya! Yes, I can relate to almost missing linkys LOL. Time can sometimes just slip away from us :) So many wonderful recipes this week. Thank you for hosting. I'm sharing a little different way to make French Toast when you have egg allergies. Would never know that egg wasn't used. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chaya,
    Your zucchini corn casserole looks delicious, I will have to bake more often with zucchinis! I've just linked a wonderful cornbread!
    Thank you for hosting! I hope that you will have a smooth class this year! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops... thank you for featuring my baked beans! :)
      Goodnight, or rather morning, it is 12.29am now (my time!)!

      Delete
  14. looks like you got a bunch of 'playful' kids! There are lots of yummies up there and i'm bringing today a bread and butter pudding. Today is friday, hope you are going to hv a lovely weekend and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love a vegetable casserole like this, it looks delicious. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Chaya,
    I've linked a bowl of healthy, delicious salsa! Thank you for hosting, have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost