Potato Cakes with a Surprise Ingredient


This is a recipe from this month's Food Network magazine.  I did not have a full pound of the sauerkraut and used what I did have which, I am guessing, is half the amount.  I was intrigued with the inclusion of the sauerkraut and had to make it out of curiosity.  

Potato Cakes with a Surprise Ingredient (adapted from Food Network)

Ingredients:

4 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 3/4 pound total)
1/2 pound sauerkraut, drained, rinsed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (brown rice flour)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying

Method:

Pierce the potatoes in a few places with a fork; microwave until slightly softened, about 4 minutes, then halve lengthwise. When cool enough to handle, put through a ricer.  You can grate it but the ricer makes work of it, in only a minute or two.

Add the drained sauerkraut to the grated potatoes along with the herbs, eggs, three-quarters of the scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour, then form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. 

Comments

  1. I'll have to make these for my sister who loves sauerkraut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Lovely dipped in some spicy chilli sauce! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love these! They look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With sauerkraut ??
    why this is something I must try
    Shannah Tova Chaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh sauerkraut that is quite the mystery ingredient. Love it and these potato cakes. I can imagine the are absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost