Lox Latkes


I am a Brooklyn gal.  My middle name is Lox.  Lox is smoked salmon and I think, it is wonderful.  I know, most people eat lox in a bagel, maybe with cream cheese.  I do that too.  I also use lox in soups, salads, eggs and with vegetables.  When I came across this recipe, it had my name on it, Lox.  So, as Lox, I changed the recipe to add the smoked salmon to the egg mixture rather than on top of it.

Latkes with Lox - Taste of Home (adapted)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups finely chopped scallions

  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour mixture or AP flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten

  • 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded

  • 1/4 cup olive oil

  • 4 ounces lox

    olive oil

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. 

Stir in eggs until blended. 

Add potatoes and lox; toss to coat.

Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten.

Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed.

Drain on paper towels.  

Top with sour cream and chives if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.

Comments

  1. My husband loves lox. He had some for breakfast the other day and we were with his parents. His father had never heard of it, poo-pooed the entire idea, and then asked my husband when he became a fan. I chimed in "probably when he married a Jewish woman."

    ReplyDelete
  2. An extra dollop of sour cream with chives on top of these lox cakes will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Chaya! You have my mouth watering! Especially when you got to the part about adding sour cream and chives...yum, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. pssst...would you like to share this with us this week in our recipe linky? Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These latkes look nice. Just letting you know that an avocado post you linked in to Food on Friday is being showcased today on my Need Some Inspiration series. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost