Crunchy Chippers


I am thinking cookies for my new class.  It is interesting, I didn't mention my baking to this class and no one said anything until yesterday (third day of school).  Obviously, it is a given to the class that I bake for my classes.

I asked them how they knew this and of course, the answer was, your other students, told us.  Should I be pleased or taken for granted?  Being the teacher who rewards has a positive payback.  It is easy to explain. Threatening kids with punishments leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth, probably especially the teacher.  Earning something is much more promising that losing it.  Of course, in the end, the results are the same but the attitude is different.

This year, is a little surprising.  I have had siblings of these children and for the first time, most of them are at the other end of the spectrum, from their brothers.  With the exception of two of the brothers, the others are different, not only in personality but also in looks.  

What I don't know is if their cookie choices are the same. :)  I thought this one might be a good one to start  with, but then I remembered, kids don't like coconut, at least in my previous classes, they didn't.  I made this, a long time ago and I am thinking of making it again, without the coconut.  Any suggestions, what I could sub for the coconut? There are already, lots of nuts, in the recipe.


Crunchy Chippers (adapted from Taste of Home)

Ingredients

1 cup margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flaked coconut
1 package (11-1/2 ounces)  chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts

Directions

In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the coconut, chocolate chips and almonds.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.

  •  Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.

This is a good cookie, not fabulous but certainly worthwhile.  I find that Taste of Home cookies work.  They are usually very good and the directions are clear. 



Comments

  1. I love these little chippers....there is little bit of everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty looking cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can't be bad to be known as the cookie teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost