Confetti Rice, Corn & Bean Salad

Three cheers ---- it is time for the Secret Recipe Club, once again.  Each month, I look forward to this "happening".  It is fun, on every Monday, to check out the outstanding recipes that are being shared.  This month, I am changing the week, I post which also means, I change the leader of my group.

As I leave group A, led by the fabulous Jane from the The Hertitage Cook, I know I will miss her.  Jane has been there for all of us when needed and always with a smile (in her voice) and such a positive attitude.  I have joined Group B (second Monday of the month) with Suzanne from Thru the Bugs on My Windshield (what a unique and intriguing name).  Already, Suzanne has been gracious and welcoming and I look forward to working with her.

I got a blog that has the most outstanding baked goods on it.  I wanted to make each and every one of them.  So what did I do?  I made a wonderful Rice Salad.  Temptation was put aside and my diet was put upfront and truthfully, I enjoyed this salad so much, I did not miss the goodies.  I do think, you should go over to Family Food and Fun and check out, those sweets.

You should visit there to see something even better than the delicious food.  Go see Rebekah's family.  She has five children under 8 and each one is adorable.  What a family? One of Rebekah's goals is to make it to the Pillsbury Bake Offs and looking at what she has made, I think, she is well on her way.  Good luck, Rebekah.

We are a rice eating family and this turned out to be a comfortable side for us.  It was still warm when I served it so it can be used as a hot side, as well as a salad.
 Confetti Rice, Corn & Bean Salad (adapted from Family, Food and Fun)

I really did not make changes other than to use 2 cups of brown rice and to cut the beans to 1 cup each.

Salad:


3 cups cooked rice, cooled to room temperature (see note)
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed (or the same amount fresh corn kernels)
4 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1 red pepper, seeded, cored, and diced
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (I omitted)

Dressing:
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 T. sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper


Method:

In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients and toss. 


In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss to coat. 
 Ms. enPlace

Comments

  1. What a great recipe you chose - looks delicious! And I am so happy to tell you that I had your fabulous blog this month. It was SO hard to choose just one recipe, but I am so happy with the one I made. And I promise I'll be back to make more from here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked the salad! Thanks for the lovely review and the sweet compliments about my kids - puts a smile on my face!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to have you in group B.. Love your SRC choice; I'm always up for black bean and corn salads..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rice looks so colorful and inviting, so delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group 'A' SRC entry: Fried Green Tomatoes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely collection of recipes and photos in a post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colors in that dish!! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really nice looking salad. I'd bet if it was on a potluck table, everyone would dig in--unable to resist those colors.

    Thank you for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo this week, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic and a great alternative to plain rice. Pinning to enjoy later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New leaders can be a good way to branch out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost