Broccoli Quiche with Potato Crust



I found the most wonderful recipe on allrecipes.com a quiche with a mashed potato crust. Instead of struggling with gluten-free crusts for savory dishes, this potato crust saves time and effort and is a delicious addition. I have never enjoyed making pie crusts. They intimidate me.

My approach to making regular crusts is to repeat the mantra, "I can do it," as long as I feel I have to. I get my ingredients to set up, as I mutter, "I can do it." That phrase gets me through a decent crust but if I don't have to make them, I am happier.

This potato crust took little effort and no fear. Made for a much happier me. I served this with a green salad and a little garlic vinegar and it was perfect to go with the quiche.

 

Mashed Potato Crust Filled with Broccoli and Cheese

Ingredients:


3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 cups chopped frozen broccoli, thawed or fresh broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
olive oil cooking spray
1 red onion, chopped
1 cup Gouda. chopped
1 cup Muenster, diced
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain.

Meanwhile,cook frozen broccoli in microwave, on high for 2 minutes.

Mash the potatoes with milk and salt. I, often put the potatoes through a ricer for a faster mashed potato.

Spray an 8 inch round pan with olive oil and press the potatoes in. Brush with remaining olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Arrange onions, broccoli and cheese in the potato crust.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper. Pour over broccoli and cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until slightly puffed and cooked throughout. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Delicious!

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to Pennywise Platter   

Comments

  1. Now this looks like a delicious quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I don't like making pie crusts either and quit trying years ago, I buy mine pre-made. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be enjoyed by my DH! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the mashed potato crust. I've been using polenta lately, so this will be a nice twist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the idea of using a mashed potato crust, Chaya. Especially since my crust making abilities are very, very bad:) I'll have to remember your I can state of mind much like that little engine that could, lol...In the mean time though, I'll be saving this recipe. The combination of broccoli and those cheeses sounds so yummy!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi chaya, the sound of a potato crust sounds good! i think this is a good alternative as to having buttery crusts all the time! sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful quiche :)
    We looooooooooove broccoli and I like the idea of potato-crust.
    Pinned

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost