Fresh Tomato Sauce - QED Guest Recipe - Miriam

Miriam and I met like all food bloggers do, visiting one another's blogs.  Miriam links to My Meatless Mondays and I have always loved her recipes.  I found many of them to be quick and easy to make and I am sure delicious, as well.  I am waiting for her cookbook to come out so I can cook through it.  I am that confident that I will like it.

I am going to let Miriam speak for herself.  I will say, I feel honored to have such a lovely foodie visiting my blog and certainly enriching it.  Please visit her, for yourself, and see how right, I am.
 

Hi there! Miriam Barton here, author of Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters, the cookbook (to be released in June 2011).  I have designed an entire cookbook of vegetarian and vegan recipes that would all taste delicious to people who eat meat on a regular basis.
You see for me, and for most people, taste is the issue.  No matter how healthy something is for your body, no one wants to eat it if it tastes bad (or very different from what you’re used to).   Just peeking at vegetarian cooking magazines and cookbooks can be discouraging because so many are filled with ingredients that regular-non-cooking-guru people haven’t ever heard of and flavors that are very foreign to people who love meaty “comfort food.”
 And meat, well, it’s just not good for anyone to eat every day.  It’s hard on your heart, kidneys, liver, intestines, colon…you get the picture.  So what do you eat on the days you’re giving your internal organs a break from the meat?  “Meatless Meals,” of course!  The meals are filled with ingredients that we are all used to and are familiar with.  Only delicious and hearty will due for me (I’m a food snob who hates to be hungry after I just ate a meal).  So, “filling and great tasting,” is a motto for me when I’m creating recipes.
My publisher asked me to start a web site named after my book, http://meatlessmealsformeateaters.blogspot.com/.  On the web site I have shared many recipes (about 3 per week for the past several months), that I have created just for blogging purposes.  I have been allowed to only share a few recipes from my cookbook on my site and today I’m going to share one of them with you.  It is very easy and addictively delicious.
I used to live in Italy and oh, what delicious food!  Well, this simple sauce is one that Italians eat literally every day.  It is a simple tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes (that’s right, no more preservative filled jars of Ragu for you!).  Serve this over your favorite cooked pasta (any shaped noodle will do).

Fresh Tomato Sauce
 
3-4 garlic cloves minced                                                            

¼ cup chopped onions
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cups diced tomatoes
½ teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Parmesan cheese

Sauté garlic and onions in oil, on medium heat, for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and spices and let cook for 15-20 minutes stirring and mashing tomatoes occasionally. Stir your favorite kind of cooked pasta into the sauce and sprinkle each serving with fresh parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings.

Recipe from the cookbook Meatless Meals for Meat Eaters by Miriam Barton, all rights reserved.

  

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost